But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
1 Thessalonians 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
1 Thessalonians 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
1 Thessalonians 5:14 Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
2 Thessalonians 2:17 Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.
2. -----We need knowledge of prophecy because ignorance can cause our destruction. We must not reject, or despise, prophecy knowledge. Those who scoff at prophesy study or knowledge are really scoffing at the comfort, edification and exhortation that God gives us. Rejecting what God has given can cause a believer’s destruction and rejection by God.
1 Thessalonians 5:20 Despise not prophesyings.
Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt
be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
3. ----- Knowing accurate prophecy helps to detect false prophecy, and is therefore a protection. How will you identify "false prophets" and avoid the "swift destruction" and "damnable heresies" they bring unless you know what is true prophecy?
2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
4. ----- Accurate prophetic understanding and teaching is crucial to avoiding "condemnation" and/or the plagues spoken of in Revelation.
James 3:1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.
Revelation 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Revelation 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
5. ----- Paul taught about the resurrection ON THE FIRST DAY he spoke to people who did not know about Christianity in Acts 17.
Acts 17:16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.
17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.
18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.
6. ----- Without the hope of the resurrection (which is prophecy of the future), belief in Jesus is in vain.
1 Cor 15:12 Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:
14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
7. ----- Knowledge of prophecy, hearing it, reading it, and keeping it, brings blessings:
Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
Revelation 22:7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.
8. ----- People should be praying to escape. If they don’t think there is an escape, (denying the pretribulation rapture), how can they pray for it?:
Luke 21:36 Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.
9. ----- People should be looking for the return of Jesus, and not let their crowns be stolen by those who would tell them Christ is not coming anytime soon.
2 Timothy 4:8 "Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."
Rev 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
Rev 3:11 "Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown."
10. ----- People should not believe "the Lord is delaying his coming", which typically is at the heart of all beliefs that deny the pretribulation rapture.
Matt 24:48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
11. ----- Faith is very important for miracles. Those who believed in the power of Jesus to perform miracles, saw miracles performed for them. For those who believe they will have to go through the tribulation because they refuse to believe the promises, perhaps they will get their wish. Perhaps the verses below speak of a principle that would apply in this case:
Matt 8:12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Matt 8:13 And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.